Business & Professional Services
New York State is a world-leader in the business &
professional services industry. The State boasts an
impressive network of quality business services, such as
customer service call centers, credit collection firms,
executive placement services and other outsourcing
operations supporting businesses throughout the world.
New York's professional services industry is one of the most important in the State's economy, due in part to its interdependence with the State's financial services industry – a relationship which helps New York State attract a significant number of corporate headquarters. "The Big Four" accounting firms are located in New York, as well as the top 25 U.S. law firms and 47 of the top 50 consulting firms.
As an international leader in the new global knowledge-based economy, New York State is home to numerous leading national and international professional services firms, such as:
- Booz Allen & Hamilton
- Deloitte & Touche LLP
- Ernst & Young, LLP
- IBM Global Business Services
- McKinsey & Company
- Zogby International, Inc.
New York State offers a host of resources that are critical to the success of a business services operation:
- well-educated workforce
- competitive back office labor costs
- excellent telecommunications infrastructure
- decreasing energy costs
Tax Savings That May be Applicable to Back Office Operations and Call Centers:
- The sale of Internet access service, including start-up charges, is exempt from New York State sales and use taxes under Articles 28 and 29 of the Tax Law. In addition, Internet access service is not subject to the telecommunications excise tax imposed under section 186-e of the Tax Law.
- New York State permits out-of-state companies to warehouse merchandise with New York "fulfillment centers" without making such companies subject to New York State taxes. The tax law provides that the use of a New York fulfillment service business (other than an affiliated business) will not create a nexus between the out-of-state business and New York State for purposes of New York State sales and corporate taxes.
ESD Industry Specialists
Business & Professional Services:
American Teleservices Association (ATA)
National Association of Professional Employer Organizations (PEOs)
New York State Telecommunications Association, Inc.
Contact Center World
Return to Industry Clusters - Main.